Scientist 1 or 2 Skin Biology and Immunology
at DermBiont (View all jobs)
Boston Lab and Office
Company: DermBiont, Inc.
Location: Boston, MA
Job: Scientist 1 or 2 of Skin Biology and Immunology
Schedule: Full-time. Some weekend work may be required
Employee Status: Regular
Apply here: https://boards.greenhouse.io/dermbiont/jobs/4163775004
DermBiont, Inc. is a clinical-stage biotechnology company developing breakthrough therapeutics that target skin disease at the root cause. DermBiont’s biotherapeutics have the potential to alter current paradigms for the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of skin diseases. We evaluate the human microbiota for associations to disease markers while studying ex vivo and organotypic disease models for probiotic treatments.
We have live bacterial and small molecule products in development and, in addition, have pioneered a whole genome-based bioinformatics platform for the discovery of additional candidate live bacterial products. At DermBiont, you can expect to engage deeply in research, discovery, and clinical affairs. We are interested in developing solutions for skin conditions, and are taking multiple approaches to understanding the factors that contribute to healthy skin functioning. Employees will grow with a dynamic, rapidly expanding organization, and have an impact on patients’ lives.
We are building out a new division on skin biology and are looking to establish a team around skin models, microbiome science, immunology, mycobiology, and virology. This is an opportunity to help set the strategic direction of a rapidly growing clinical microbiome company as we expand our technical assets and leverage new tools for testing the function of microbe-microbe and microbe-host interactions on patient’s health.
- Build in house capabilities to enable the discovery and development of microbiome-based products that treat or prevent diseases of the skin.
- This would include but not be limited using established methodologies and developing new methodologies for in-vitro, ex-vivo, and in vivo evaluation of products that modulate the innate and adaptive immune systems, epidermal barrier function, and UV induced cell damage.
- Create skin biology internal capability for safety and efficacy studies of novel drug agents, formulation products, and disease indications
- Contribute to microbial assay development, validation, and automation to enable biosafety studies and high throughput screening of microbial candidates
- Work internally and with external organizations to identify biological targets and technologies to provide skincare benefits.
- Have knowledge in skin biology and related sciences to assigned projects, ensure project design reviews, analyses, data summary and interpretation, and report and manuscript preparation.
- Interface throughout the organization, translate scientific and business needs into practical, biological, solutions.
- Mentor junior members of the team, while supporting a culture of continuous improvement.
- Proactively consult primary scientific literature, keep current on state of art technologies and emerging concepts in molecular diagnostics related to dermatology
- Recent PhD or MD/PhD in a relevant scientific field such as skin biology and immunology employing in-vitro, ex-vivo, and in-vivo methods.
- Experience with Molecular Biology, Immunology and/or Microbiology
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced working environment
- Demonstrated ability to design and lead experimental programs and assay development
- Influences and communicates effectively with non-technical audiences including senior business executives and managers.
- A sharp thinker who quickly grasps the technical implications of business processes, and able to provide valuable insight into the perspectives of users, managers, developers, and other stakeholders