Information We Collect
· The types of personal information that we collect directly from you depends on the content and features of the service(s) you use and how you otherwise interact with us and may include:
· Contact details, such as your name, email address, postal address, phone number and social media handle;
· Account login credentials, such as usernames and passwords, password hints and similar security information;
· Other account registration and profile information, including educational, professional and other background information, such as your field of study, current position, practice area and areas of interests, and photo;
· Content that you upload and share or store in your account, such as annotations, comments, contributions and replies;
· Payment information, such as a credit or debit card number;
· Information that you communicate to us, such as questions or information you send to
· Data that you provide to us as part of interacting with our service(s); and/or
· Communications preferences, such as your preferred language and the frequency, type and format of the alerts you sign up to receive.
Data from your Institution
We may obtain information about you from the institution with which you are employed or affiliated in order to activate and manage your access to and use of the institution’s subscription to the service, including:
· Contact details, such as your name and institutional email address, postal address and phone number;
· Other account registration information, such as job title; and/or
· Institutional user ID.
Data from other Sources
We also may obtain contact details and other information about you from other entities associated with the SID and from third parties, including:
· Social networks when that you grant permission to the service(s) to access your data on one or more networks;
· Service providers that help us determine a location in order to customize certain products to your location;
· Partners with which we offer co-branded services or engage in joint marketing activities; and/or
· Publicly-available sources and data suppliers from which we obtain data to validate or supplement the information we hold.
Device and Usage Data
Service(s) may automatically collect information about how you and your device interact with us, such as:
· Computer, device and connection information, such as IP address, browser type and version, operating system and other software installed on your device, unique device identifier and other technical identifiers, error reports and performance data;
· Usage data, such as the features you used, the settings you selected, URL click stream data, including date and time stamp and referring and exit pages, and pages you visited on the service;
· For location-aware services, the physical location of your device.
For more details, visit the cookie notice of the service(s).
How We Use Your Information
We are committed to delivering a relevant and useful experience to you. Depending on how you interact with us and our service(s), we use your personal information to:
· Provide, activate and manage your access to and use of the service;
· Process and fulfill a request, order, download, subscription or other transaction;
· Offer you customized content and other personalization to make the service(s) more efficient for you and more relevant to your interests and geography;
· Enhance and improve the service(s), such as add new content and features;
· Notify you about changes, updates and other announcements related to our service(s);
· Deliver targeted advertisements, promotional messages, and other information related to the service(s) and to your interests;
· Provide technical, product and other support and help to keep the service(s) working, safe and secure; and/or
· Identify usage trends and develop data analysis, including for the purposes of research, audits, reporting and other business operations, such as to pay license fees to third-party content providers, determine the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns, evaluate our business performance, or in other ways pursuant to a customer agreement.
We may also use your personal information to:
· Respond to your requests, inquiries, comments or concerns;
· Conduct and administer user surveys as well as competitions and similar promotions;
· Provide you with relevant promotional messages and other information about products, events and services of ours, our group companies and third parties such as societies and sponsors;
· Enhance and improve our products, events and services and develop new ones; and/or
· Comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes and enforce our agreements.
We may collect and store information related to purchases if you choose to purchase services from us. You may provide certain information to complete payments, including your credit or debit card number, card expiration date, CVV code, and billing address (collectively, “Payment Information”), along with your name and billing, and shipping address, to complete payment transactions. Credit card information received via fax, phone, or mail is entered into a secure system and then deleted and destroyed.
Information about your purchases are maintained in association with your membership or profile account. The personal information we collect from you is stored in a database hosted by a third party, YourMembership (“YM”). YM does not use or have access to your personal information for any purpose other than cloud storage and retrieval.
We do not otherwise reveal your personal data to third-parties for their independent use unless: (1) you request or authorize it; (2) it’s in connection with any of our events as described above; (3) the information is provided to comply with the law (for example, to comply with a search warrant, subpoena or court order), enforce an agreement we have with you, or to protect our rights, property or safety, or the rights, property or safety of our employees or others; (4) the information is provided to our agents, vendors or service providers who perform functions on our behalf; (5) to address emergencies or acts of God; and (6) to address disputes, claims, or to persons demonstrating legal authority to act on your behalf.
If you are an administrator of an institution with a subscription to a service, we will use your details to communicate with you about your institution’s subscription and related services. If you supply us contact information of your colleagues, we may include a reference to you when we contact those individuals with communications about the service(s).
Your Communications Preferences
You can customize and manage your communications preferences and other settings when you register with the Service, by updating your account features and preferences, by using the “opt-in/out” or subscribe/unsubscribe mechanisms or other means provided within the communications that you receive from us or by contacting us. We reserve the right to notify you of changes or updates to the Service whenever necessary.
Accessing and Updating Your Information
The Service may allow registered users to directly access their account information and make corrections or updates at any time. Keeping such information up to date is solely the responsibility of the user. Registered users may also close their account directly through the Service or by contacting the Service’s customer support. You have the right under European and certain other privacy and data protection laws, as may be applicable, to request free of charge:
• Access to and correction and deletion of your personal information;
• Restriction of our processing of your personal information, or to object to our processing; and/or
• Portability of your personal information.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact us through the contact address provided below. We will respond to your request consistent with applicable laws. To protect your privacy and security, we may require you to verify your identity.
We retain your personal information for as long as necessary to provide the Service and fulfill the transactions you have requested, or for other essential purposes such as complying with our legal obligations, maintaining business and financial records, resolving disputes, maintaining security, detecting and preventing fraud and abuse, and enforcing our agreements.
We take precautions to safeguard your personal information against loss, theft and misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction through the use of appropriate technical and organizational measures.
Data Protection Representative
The SID is headquartered in Cleveland, Ohio, in the United States. We have appointed an internal data protection officer for you to contact if you have any questions or concerns about our data policies or practices. Our data protection officer’s name and contact information are as follows:
Data Protection Representative
526 Superior Avenue, East
Cleveland, Ohio 44114 USA
Phone (216) 579-9300